[Fwd: Re: IPv6 SMTP]

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu May 22 15:31:54 CEST 2008

>  | I hope to have this test server in full production by the weekend (it's
>  | only my personal domain), then roll it out across the rest of our
>  | company's infrastructure after a brief period.
>
> ==>
>
> Congratulations!

Thank you! (and everyone else).

> It would be a great idea if you had time to share your experience with
> the community afterwards. I presume, many people are currently trying
> to get SMTPv6 working and would appreciate some feedback on a concrete
> case study.

I would be glad to share my experience afterwards.

At this point, I've now patched qmail-remote with IPv6 compatibility, so
from what I can tell, I shouldn't have any IPv4 addresses in any headers
(in or out) so long as I'm communicating with an IPv6 host when I send
from my v6 enabled server (unfortunately, this DNS name that I send to
this list with is not on that box).

I now need to do some further testing to be sure I didn't break other
qmail-remote functionality as an undesired consequence.

For those who are interested, it would have been easier to just use
Sendmail, however, I've been using a mail cluster system based on Matt
Simerson's Mail Toaster for quite a few years, and have numerous custom
developed management and automation tools for them.

I've documented (roughly) the steps I took from beginning to end,
including the steps that need manual intervention (applying my custom
patches) along the way. I'll post this info after everything is
confirmed working.

I'm off now to do some further testing, and to set up some proper
reverse DNS records and enable/test spam filtering.

Also, on our production gear, we do not have any filtering at all
(load). We front-end our email cluster with a cluster of Barracuda
Networks spam firewalls.

Unfortunately, I don't forsee them implementing IPv6 for some time yet,
so for the ISP side of things, only our outbound email will be IPv6 enabled.

Steve