getting DNS config to clients

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon May 19 02:50:21 CEST 2008

Hi Leen,

On 19/05/2008, at 4:13 AM, Leen Besselink wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>> kim at hawtin.net.au writes:
>>
>>> I've been researching how we get the IPs of our DNS servers to our
>>> clients
>>> dynamically.
>>>
>>> So far we've looked at config RADVD and DHCPv6 on Linux ...
>>
>> Not anycast?  I believe the RFC 4339 covers the pros and cons of all
>> three approaches.

Unaware of the practicalities in your specific setup (i.e. a local
setup or one for general use) but you could also consider mDNS/DNS-SD
discovery.

Avahi has an avahi-dnsconfd daemon for this purpose.
http://avahi.org/download/avahi-dnsconfd.8.xml

A "well-known" address of some variety may well also be a good idea/
standard to adopt.

Regards,
Trent