ipv6 load balancers

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri May 2 09:45:38 CEST 2008

Mark Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 16:03 +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> I know that BIT (http://www.bit.nl, unfortunately no english edition of
>> that site) uses F5 BIG-IP already for a couple of years in production
>> IPv6 and from what I know they are quite happy with it too.
>
> We are indeed. The only downside is the extra licensecosts.

I really don't get that vendors are doing this. I can agree that they
probably need to do some kind of 'cost recovery' or something and that
they love to make extra money, but this way a lot of folks are like
"IPv6 costs extra money, it doesn't directly generate it, then why do
it?" Especially management and other bean counters will raise a red flag
because of that and thus halt doing IPv6 for the time being, probably
till it is too late.

I think vendors would be better off not pulling these kind of tricks and
would sell more products if they did not charge extra for IPv6.

Greets,
  Jeroen