Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Fri Mar 28 15:02:45 CET 2008

Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> An AR7 router running OpenWRT is probably the cheapest option, but it's
>> not really ready for the average end user yet. I have a D-Link DSL-G604T
>> doing IPv6 over PPPoA running a recent OpenWRT build.
>
> I Have Heard On The Grapevine(tm) that Netopia have an ipv6 enabled
> image internally which you might be able to get your hands on if you
> beg and plead and get talking to the right people - and have the right
> CPE device.  Other than that, the CPE ipv6 situation makes me want to
> cry.

One of the ideas I have been toying with is building an open source
wireless/ADSL gateway from the ground up, along the same lines as the
free telephony project (site here: http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/ a
video of David Rowe's talk at linux.conf.au here:
http://linux.conf.au/programme/wednesday )

My dream router would leverage openwrt, do ADSL, 802.11s, ipv6, dnsmasq
and squid, which means it would have large amounts of flash and ram, but
be low power and infinitely upgradable. Complying with the ADSL
standards looks easier than DOCSIS... barely. It doesn't sound like any
of the routers you've suggested so far do ADSL2+, though...

The BOM on (for example) the latest atheros chipsets is something like
$12.50 US. The marvel wireless chip as used in the olpc is another option.