Who runs 6to4 relays

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Mar 20 16:11:25 CET 2008

Hi Ross,

> If anyone who is running a public one that say what the usage and/or
> bandwidth levels are like, it would make for better planning by us. No
> one wants a 300mbps unexpected shift in transit to suddenly occur. :-)

I've had two DoS attacks (one with 300Mbps, one with 80Mbps), the first
one actually made at least five European 6to4 operators temporarily pull
their 192.88.99.0/24 routes from BGP (traffic hit one, who folded and
pulled the announcement, hit the next ...). Make sure you can deal with
that and your staff knows how to find this and temporarily disable the
announcement. Other than that traffic is in the low one-digit Mbps
volume on my relays. Kevin mentioned 10Mbps on the US relay and 30Mbps
on the European relay.

In general (not targetted at you): If you decide to run a relay please
make sure you have decent and full IPv6 connectivity. Networks
singlehomed behind the known partial-table offenders or getting transit
through 100ms+ tunnels should not announce their relays globally, this
makes the situation worse most probably. Monitor it, at least have a
look at the traffic levels occasionally. If possible tag your anycast
prefixes with appropriate communities to avoid leaking them all over the
world. Rather run a fast and stable service for your customers (and
peers if you like).

Bernhard