Who runs 6to4 relays

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Mar 20 15:25:13 CET 2008

Ross West wrote:
> Thursday, March 20, 2008, 3:20:24 AM, ipv6-ops at inet6.ca wrote:
>
>> In the end... 6to4 relays are mostly sitting in Europe. This hasn't
>> changed much in the last years. :-((
>
> There's a few of us North American's with 6to4 relays, just localized
> to our own ASNs while we start looking at the usage levels.
>
> If anyone who is running a public one that say what the usage and/or
> bandwidth levels are like, it would make for better planning by us. No
> one wants a 300mbps unexpected shift in transit to suddenly occur. :-)

That only happens when:
  - you have newszilla6.xs4all.nl closeby and people use it heavily
  - some stupid ISP has a 'customer' that is sending broken 6to4
    packets to ddos somebody of the internet and even though the ISP in
question gets contacted simply ignores it as "you buy more bandwidth".

But it is good that you actually consider this point, running an
underpowered/undermanaged relay can cause real issues.

But remember that there simply is not a lot of IPv6 traffic at all:

http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/sflow_stats_ipv6.html
http://www.sixxs.net/misc/traffic/

As such, not too much to worry about, though traffic is getting more and
more over time fortunately.

Greets,
  Jeroen