Best practice for running 6to4 relays (was Re: 6to4 borkeness)

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Thu Mar 20 01:25:33 CET 2008

Kevin Day wrote:
> There's nothing special about BGP, it's just what a lot of us are
> using elsewhere, so it's easier to reuse that infrastructure than run
> another routing protocol just for this. Nothing says you can't use
> OSPF or IS-IS or even static routes that I'm aware of. You just need
> to concern yourself with BGP if you want people outside your network
> to be able to use your relay.
>
> If you're just doing this for purely internal use and don't care if
> you break connectivity to your own clients if your 6to4 relay goes
> down, you can just static route all of it.
A picture of one network I'm trying to apply these concepts to is here:

http://www.air-stream.org.au/access_points

It's dramatically simpler than the whole internet and still much for the
mind to grasp.

There will be multiple 6to4 relays and static routes won't cut it. Most
routing protocols and daemons aren't particularly appropriate either,
(suggestions would be good - but you can probably see why anycast has
such appeal if you look at that map) Thx all for the info and conf files
today, much progress in my thinking...