6to4 borkeness (Was: Google and IPv6)

Steve Wilcox stevewilcox at google.com
Wed Mar 19 18:07:00 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Carlos Friacas <cfriacas at fccn.pt> wrote:

> >> I expected as much.
> >
> > FWIW, my experience with 6to4 is more positive than Jeroen's. It
> > works almost all the time for me, except when someone breaks the
> > 2.0.0.2.ip6.arpa zone, but that hasn't happened for months. Mind
> > you, many of the ISPs that I regurally use have their own relays
> > or a relay close by.
>
> Hi,
>
> Anyone seen a geographical map containing 6to4 relays ? :-)
>

> > For me, debugging 6to4 hasn't proved that much harder than anything
> > else. You can find the relay at your end by tracerouting to
> > 192.88.99.1.  It's true that the reverse path is hard to debug, but
> > that's the same no matter what you're using. It was a little easier
> > in IPv6 when we had RH0 (though I know Jeroen prefers looking glasses
> > for this sort of thing).
> >
> >> PS - Another poster's suggestion to have Google set up a 6to4 interface
> >>      might be a good one.  Until most of the Internet has transitioned
> >>      to non-tunneled access (in what, 50 years?), this would certainly
> >>      improve connectivity for users like me.
>
> The best shot we have to get "most of the Internet" moving is v4 blocks
> scarcity. But this might not be enough if a free unregulated address
> market gets into the global picture.
>

> > A 6to4 relay inside Google might help either (maybe they have one
> > already?) - that could smooth out the reverse path.
>
> Would this approach scale...?

There is no 6to4 at Google today, whether there should be one I'm seeing
arguments pro and con. But it seems somewhat orthogonal as there is no
guarantee that having a 6to4 here would be the one that inbound packets are
taking and providing we make sure that the outbound is going through a
reliable path (I noted earlier that the your.org 6to4 was selected in
Amsterdam) what would hosting a relay fix?

> Perhaps more pressure on transit providers to find better (and untunneled)
> IPv6 paths would also be helpful... ;-)

Tunnels do indeed seem to be at the heart of the problem. To that end tho,
if anyone wants to establish peering and can do so natively at AMSIX then
please drop me a reply..

Steve

--
Global Infrastructure