6to4 borkeness (Was: Google and IPv6)

Tim tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org
Wed Mar 19 17:35:31 CET 2008

> Would this approach scale...?
> Perhaps more pressure on transit providers to find better (and
> untunneled) IPv6 paths would also be helpful... ;-)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if both end points are using 6to4,
doesn't the data route directly between the hosts over v4 routes?  Those
scale right now, right?  Obviously not optimal, but going from native v6
to 6to4 in either direction is painful, right?  The only trick would be
with DNS.  A big organization could advertize 2002 addresses to 2002
clients, and native addresses to native clients, in the hope that
usually the HTTP transport would be over a similar address range.
Probably wouldn't work in a lot of cases, but it might reduce the
percentage of cross over traffic.

cheers,
tim