6to4 borkeness (Was: Google and IPv6)

Tim tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org
Wed Mar 19 16:31:07 CET 2008

> Please give up on the debugging, 6to4 is not worth it.

I expected as much.

I use 6to4 because I've been moving quite often and I don't want to deal
with trying to find a nearby tunnel broker.  There's quite a bit of
convenience with 6to4, since there's no accounts to manage and such.

Now, I don't expect anyone specifically to support me in my IPv6
tinkering, but if the general attitude is that 6to4 isn't worth fixing,
then it isn't worth using and we should just shut down the 192.88.99.1
anycast and be done with it.  People need transition technologies and if
this one isn't it, let's stop pretending.

As for the issue at hand, I found that my connectivity magically
recovered about 20 minutes after reporting the issue, so I can't
continue to debug.  If it comes up again though, I'd like to better
understand how to track down the problem routes.  Since so many of the
hops were asymmetrical, I'm thinking maybe I should I try to locate a
host that's listed on the sixxs.net site for which I also can't access?
Then I could try to trace the route back to me from their website and
see what happens?  Just trying to learn from this, that's all.

In this case, it looked like the two traces that were dying did so
somewhere around 2001:504:0:2:0:1:745:1 and 2001:504:0:2:0:1:5169:1,
which are reported as owned by Equinix, Inc.  Of course it could be some
hop going around them, which I'll try to get a better feel for next time.

thank you,
tim

PS - Another poster's suggestion to have Google set up a 6to4 interface
     might be a good one.  Until most of the Internet has transitioned
     to non-tunneled access (in what, 50 years?), this would certainly
     improve connectivity for users like me.