Google and IPv6

Martin Millnert martin.ipv6 at millnert.se
Wed Mar 19 02:22:14 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 12:50 -0500, Kevin Day wrote:
> Vista is bringing more users trying to use v6, and seems to have a
> higher success rate than previous operating systems. At least when in
> the hands of people who don't even know they're running v6.
>
> While it's not an exact correlation, the increase in v6 users in
> recent months seems to be nearly proportional to the increase in Vista
> users hitting our sites. Vista was released in November of 2006, but
> we didn't see significant numbers of Vista users hitting our sites
> until near mid-2007.
>
> -- Kevin

Hi list!

I bring here some fresh real-world statistics on the issue of
IPv6-readiness at the user side, from a dorm network at Chalmers,
Gothenburg (csbnet.se). I've spent the afternoon now compiling some data
we've been collecting here. By the good grace of SUNET/NORDUNet native
IPv6, we have probably among the better IPv6 connectivity there is
today.

Interestingly, students may only stay at these dorms a maximum of 6
years, which results in a 1/6th turn-over each year, which consequently
has the interesting effect in that it also helps to restock the
networked device setup at a fairly constant rate.

Users must register their MAC addresses with us, so by (frequently
enough) sampling the IPv6 neighbours table in our single IPv6 router, in
combination with passive OS fingerprinting using ISC's DHCPd, it is now
easy to see a quite clear picture of where we're headed, quite soon.
Actual user-data, not just theory! :)

Out of a population of roughly 2800 registered systems, 8.5% are now
seen active on a daily basis configured with a global IPv6 address.
Moreover, I can count 353 systems with RFC-3041-style addresses from our
logs (default in Vista, thus most precisely all of these can quite
correctly be attributed to Vista) and 243 EUI64-style address systems.
There might be some overlapping due to dual-boot systems, but it should
be low enough not to matter. We've been logging since early January
only. And these numbers are steadily increasing.

I graphed some of the data and posted it to
http://martin.millnert.se/docs/csbnet-ipv6/ .

Since Vista tries really hard to achieve IPv6 connectivity, and if
successful prefers it, it will very, very soon land squarely upon the
ISP to help customers achieve better IPv6-performance than the varying
tunneling protocols it generally has to employ today. Since the
introduction of AAAA in the root zone, general slow but steady adaption
to, and IPv6-enabling of, services here and there (the very thread
subject), obstacles will have to be dealt with as they come up. Vista
will *not* stop coming. :)

Cheers,
--
Martin Millnert <martin at millnert.se>