Google and IPv6

Matt Ryanczak ryanczak at arin.net
Mon Mar 17 12:35:00 CET 2008

>   I had problems getting to ARIN's IPv6 website for a number
> of months due to a tunnel and path MTU issues.   The TCP
> session would get established, but then it would hang because
> the subsequent larger packets could not get through.   A 1x1.gif
> image would probably make it through fine, so I would suggest
> testing with something > 1500 bytes.

We still have occasional complaints about reachability to www.arin.net.
It does seem that 99% of that is PMTU issues (tunnels). We've also found
that some people are not interested in troubleshooting with us, which is
unfortunate. We used to use ipv6.arin.net for our v6 web presence but we
found that no one was bothering to go there (even when asked) and we had
no feel for how well connected our web site was. When we setup a AAAA
for www.arin.net we found that most people could get there OK and those
that didn't were much more inclined to let us know (and troubleshoot
with us). This approach is probably not practical for many orgs but it
has proven to be a valuable tool in helping some of our customers gain
awareness of IPv6.

~Matt