Explicit priority MX with only AAAA record

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Jun 25 16:12:18 CEST 2008

At 06:32 25-06-2008, Marcus Stoegbauer wrote:
>We had this setup for about 1.5 years for our (really small) company
>domain and I didn't receive any complaints during this time that
>mails couldn't be delivered or got lost.
>However there are said to be mail daemons which don't behave well
>when the first MX can't be resolved to an A record and stop
>delivering the mail altogether.

It's not a mail daemon problem as such.  You'll run afoul of antispam
filters with such a setup.  There is a well-known email service
provider who will not accept messages from domains setup like that.

>I don't see the upside on changing from "AAAA/A" to "first AAAA,
>then A". In my eyes your current setup is the best and easiest
>solution because it should give you exactly the same behaviour, no
>matter which IP protocol you're using.

It's a good test for brokenness.  Don't do it unless you can afford
the problems that come with it.

Regards,
-sm