Explicit priority MX with only AAAA record

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 25 14:50:08 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I can't really come up with a conclusive answer to hopefully a simple
question.

Currently, I have an MX for smtp.ibctech.ca. This name holds both an A,
and an AAAA record.

I've been considering breaking that, and having separate explicit MX
records for each an A and an AAAA record, and setting the IPv6 MX as
priority, the v4 as next priority.

Before I go test this on the one MX box I have and possibly cause myself
grief, does anyone know if there will be negative effects for v4 only
clients?

Things work fine the way they currently are, but I'm worried that with
MX records, clients following standard procedures may not be able to get
around an MX with no A record.

Regards,

Steve