Connectivity issues and packet inspection

Phil Pennock ipv6-ops+phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Jun 19 10:16:01 CEST 2008

On 2008-06-18 at 21:25 -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> The lack of /64 is all I needed to hear in order for it to make sense.
> I'll look up some documentation on how to change it.

netsh takes '?' as a command in various places and if you don't supply
enough parameters to a command, it offers help.

It had been a while since I last touched Windows but I just, uhm,
borrowed the use of my wife's XP box.

netsh, interface ipv6
  show interface -> find the index for the local interface; eg 4
  add route abcd:efgh::/64 interface=4

Last time I looked at this stuff on XP, I was trying to set up a static
tunnel through a NAT to my FreeBSD box and I don't think I ever did get
it going.  Shocker, that.

> > Vista support of IPv6 seems much better than XP,
> > so I'm told.

XP sometimes seems to decide that there are no IPv6 addresses on the
LAN, even though the Apple Airport Extreme clearly is advertising the
routes.  It can go months not messing up, then mess up a couple of times
a week.   *sigh*  The only fix I've gotten is, I think, to disable IPv6
on the interface and re-enable it again; interface repair doesn't work,
disabling and re-enabling the interface doesn't work.  It's cmdline
time and using netsh.

So for "normal" users for whom the command-line is not an option, XP
isn't a reliably useful client over IPv6.

Vista, I'm told, at least is finally able to use IPv6 as the transport
for UDP queries and it's _possible_ to run an IPv6-only network, which
you can't with IPv4.  (I wouldn't know; my wife's the Windows user and
she flatly refuses to go to Vista).

-Phil