[Fwd: FW: (Microsoft Windows DHCP Team Blog) : Use of extended length prefixes]

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jun 16 18:45:58 CEST 2008

On 6 jun 2008, at 15:47, Nick Hilliard wrote:

>> Interesting tidbit regarding MS Server 2008 DHCPv6 implementation
>> not being capable of supporting prefixes other than /64 that I
>> received on another list:

> After all, who could ever want more than 640 deci-bits of address
> space?

The DHCPv6 protocol doesn't allow for the transmission of the prefix
length and RFC 3513 (oops, almost typed 3315) requires all interface
identifiers for addresses that don't start with bits 000 to be 64 bits
in size. So there's a lot to say for standardizing on /64 rather than
letting people shoot themselves in the foot by applying IPv4 thinking
to IPv6.

Then of course using DHCPv6 in the first place is a prime example of
IPv4 thinking...