IPv6 NS glue registration (was Re: getting DNS config to clients)

Phil Pennock ipv6-ops+phil at spodhuis.org
Tue Apr 22 09:44:41 CEST 2008

On 2008-04-21 at 21:15 -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> The nameservers serving INFO will simply return referrals in response to a
> query for a name in the EXAMPLE.INFO domain with no courtesy glue in the
> additional section of the response, and resolvers will do separate lookups
> to obtain addresses for those nameservers (which will then normally be
> cached). If either or both of those nameservers have AAAA records but no A
> records, that's entirely supported today, and there should be no special
> gymnastics required on the part of registrars.

Right.  Now bootstrap this: get the one NS server with IPv6 glue
registered, through a registrar, to let you list that NS server
elsewhere.

ns-nl1.globnix.net is used by various domains, not all in .net, but I
needed a .net registrar to let me register a .net nameserver with glue.
This is, AIUI, the problem others are facing and asking for a registrar
who will support them getting over that first hurdle.

I could perhaps have used .de or .jp, if I lived in Germany or Japan.  I
don't, so it was down to finding a gTLD registrar.

-Phil