IPv6 smtp spam

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 16:07:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

After the recent discussion on IPv6 smtp...

We've now started recording the volumes of IPv6 mail and spam that
we're receiving externally on our MXes.

Over the past 30 days our netflow data suggested about 1K per day,
comapred to 500K IPv4 messages.

Our spam stats for IPv6 are currently around 30-40%, where over IPv4
we discard (or spam tag) more like 80% of mails (so yes, for every
theoretically 'good' mail we throw away four more).

We'll dig a little deeper in due course and see what if any patterns
we see to spam flows over IPv6 transport.

--
Tim