BCP: Slicing a /32 for an ISP

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Apr 14 21:19:48 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:30:13AM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> If only we could convince the IETF that we need VRRPv6

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-network-interfaces/configuring-vrrp-and-vrrp-for-ipv6.html

Available since 8.4. Pester your favorite vendor...

> there are some places where RA is undesirable and/or harmful.

About everywhere in SP networks, indeed. :)

> It's sad that we can't provision v6 service with the same redundancy
> we can with v4 because of this insistence in the IETF that RA must be
> used everywhere.  They even want DHCPv6 to use it?!

VRRPv6 is defined by the IETF.

draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-xx.txt (latest was -09 IIRC)
draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-xx.txt

Best regards,
Daniel