BCP: Slicing a /32 for an ISP

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Mon Apr 14 19:19:02 CEST 2008

> Two small contributions I'd like to throw in to the thread. As much as I
> am a proponent of not using the "abundant" IPv6 address in a profligate
> manner, even I would suggest using public address for everything,
> including router loopbacks, etc.

Doug,

You're not seriously suggesting that using a single /64 for loopbacks on
your entire backbone or that using /126's on core link point-to-point
connections is profligate wastage?

I'd agree that there is a whole pile of profligate wastage being promoted
in v6 assignment strategy right now - particularly in the area of /48's for
end-users - but scrimping on a small number of /64 is not a sensible
approach to dealing with address wastage.

Nick