Fwd: APNIC IPv6 transit exchange

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Nov 30 02:24:03 CET 2007

Jeroen Massar wrote:

> This looks a bit like APNIC is going back to the 6bone days.
> Odd, I always got the impression that IPv6 was doing fine in that
> area.... clearly I was wrong and Europe is definitely in the lead.
> I am also really wondering how several IPv6 transits, and in this case
> especially the good folks from NTT are liking this.

Yes, those are really bad news. Let's just hope it is a big
misunderstanding, but I don't feel like it is. I don't know what the
intent of some APNIC ideas regarding IPv6 is. First they split up their
/32 to several /35s announced in various locations (without covering /32
aggregate) creating havoc for everyone filtering on RIR allocation size
(yes, 2001:dc0::/32 was allocated _way_ after the minimum changed from
/35 to /32), and now they want to create a 6bone style tunnel+tableswap
mess again?

If done correctly, they would get decent upstream (say NTT) and provide
free downstream tunnels to their members. Still not the brightest idea
in the long run, as the only way to create a business case for carriers
is demand from their downstreams for (native) connectivity, but at least
it would not fuck up global routing again. I just can't wait to see
Europe-APNIC-"IX"-APNIC-Europe paths.

I suggest downpreffing/blackholing AS38610 everywhere possible and
complaining hell to everyone at APNIC you can get a hold on.

Regards,
Bernhard