Misc Q about IPv6 in enterprise

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Nov 29 17:37:20 CET 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 11:10:35AM +0100, Eric Vyncke wrote:
> 1) some hosts still advertise a 6to4 prefix (2002::/16) through
> RA even when they are offered native IPv6 connectivity (so why the
> heck are they using 6to4 and why do they announce themselves as a
> router)

I *assume* that this is "Windows Connection Sharing" playing tricks - that
is: machine has IPv4 address, autoconfigures 6to4 (I think this is always
done, but not normally *used* if native v6 exists), and then ICS proceeds
to "helpfully" advertise the 6to4 prefix to "clients in need" on the LAN.

I'd check where these RAs are coming from, and if those are windows, open
a high-level support case with Microsoft.

I have seen this at RIPE and other meetings as well, and it's one of these
"default-on" things that shouldn't be.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  110584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279