NAT-PT?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Nov 29 13:00:27 CET 2007

Hi guys,

Next week at the IETF meeting there will be some discussions about how
to go forward with NAT-PT.

The idea behind NAT-PT (RFC 2766) is to allow an IPv6-only host to
access IPv4-only stuff through a translator, but in RFC 4966 the IETF
deprecated this mechanism because of a number of problems. Now we're
trying to see if these problems can be solved so the main benefit of
NAT-PT can be retained.

What are your views? Is some form of NAT-PT useful? Any interest in
running a mostly IPv6-only network where customers access the IPv4
world through translators?

Or should we just stack NAT upon NAT when we run out of IPv4
addresses, so hosts would be dual stack IPv6/IPv4+NAT+NAT (one NAT
locally like now, one in the ISP network). And would ISPs then roll
out IPv6 or focus on making the double NAT work, so that we could end
up with no IPv6 but just IPv4 with multiple layers of NAT?

See the v6ops agenda for thursday:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/agenda?item=agenda70.html

Also, CAIDA is trying to collect some IPv6 traceroute data and needs
our help:
http://www.caida.org/data/how-to/scamper/ipv6-collection-2007/

Iljitsch