BCP for multisite multihoming

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon May 21 21:57:59 CEST 2007

On 21-mei-2007, at 21:04, Kevin Day wrote:

> 1) A company has four branch offices(POPs) around the world, New
> York, London, Tokyo and Sydney.
> 2) This company requires IP addresses for internal use, customer
> use, etc.
> 3) Each POP must be multihomed, with connections to two or more
> transit providers.
> 4) Multihoming must support load balancing in both directions.
> 5) Each POP has a unique set of transit providers, there isn't one
> transit provider that has service at all locations.
> 6) Transit providers come and go, PA space isn't acceptable.
> 7) There is no connectivity between each POP at all, everything
> between nodes goes over the internet.

> In IPv4 land, this company can obtain an /18, and announce a /20
> from each POP.  Problem solved, all requirements are met.

You keep talking about /32s but what you need here is 4 independent /
48s.

However, what the internet at large needs is routing tables that
don't grow too large too fast. That means only a few tenthousands of
organizations can do what you want to do before we run into trouble.

So obviously if I were you I'd get the /48s, and if I were me I'd
whine about the IPv6 routing table size.  :-)

Iljitsch