BCP for multisite multihoming

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Mon May 21 21:19:15 CEST 2007

On 21 May 2007, at 3:04pm, Kevin Day wrote:

> I ask this partly rhetorically(I think I already know the answer)
> and partly to see which alternative everyone else would use in this
> situation.
>
> Assume the following:
>
> 1) A company has four branch offices(POPs) around the world, New
> York, London, Tokyo and Sydney.
> 2) This company requires IP addresses for internal use, customer
> use, etc.

At the point you say that they will be assigning address space to a
customer they become an ISP, I suppose.

> 3) Each POP must be multihomed, with connections to two or more
> transit providers.
> 4) Multihoming must support load balancing in both directions.
> 5) Each POP has a unique set of transit providers, there isn't one
> transit provider that has service at all locations.
> 6) Transit providers come and go, PA space isn't acceptable.
> 7) There is no connectivity between each POP at all, everything
> between nodes goes over the internet.

This seem to be four separate ISPs, in four separate continents that
just happen to be owned by a single organisation and possibly share a
brand.

[...]

> 4) Obtain multiple /32s, announce one from each POP.
>
> Probably not possible - The bar is pretty high to receive a second /
> 32, most companies will never reach the utilization percentage to
> receive a second, let alone one per POP.

Presumably this company is incorporated in each country in which it
has a PoP. It is effectively four companies with a common owner. As
such, I think #4 is the right answer and I don't think it should be
too difficult to get the address space.

[...]

> * If these four offices were multiple companies instead of owned by
> the same, they'd have no problem obtaining space and announcing
> their own space at each POP. It would also equal the same number of
> routes in the table as if the one company had just deaggregated.
> Things are being complicated because they're owned by the same
> legal entity. One legal entity doesn't necessarily equal one unique
> network though.

Bingo!

Regards,

--