IPv6 PI allocation

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Sat May 19 02:42:22 CEST 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> This way, you can easily end up working on a mechanism for scalable
> multihoming (shim6), and then have non-scalable multihoming (PI)
> introduced just as the scalable mechanism is defined.

I've been watching this thread with interest.  Unfortunately it seems
that you still don't get that shim6 is not THE scalable solution to
multihoming.  Its a solution to some (edge) cases of multihoming.  PI
multihoming gives operators everything they have in IPv4.  shim6
gives 2 providers, and misses so many other things.

Please stop calling it "the scalable mechanism to multihoming" unless
you add "basement" as the penultimate word.