IPv6 PI allocation

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri May 18 14:41:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:28:25PM +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> It's the assumption that there is a LAN at all, that I'm challenging.
> LAN's don't physically exist anymore, we just emulate them with
> switches. When everything is point-to-point, we're carrying 64 bits of
> baggate for purely historical reasons.

LANs are "layer 2 networks" - just because it's not a single piece of
layer 1 cable connecting all machines doesn't mean it's not a LAN.

The properties of a LAN ("every machine can talk to every other machine
*directly*, without having to go through a layer3 device") are quite
distinct from a "every machine has its own L3 subnet".

Addressing is explicitely *not* point-to-point in a switched L2 LAN,
which is still the most common way things are setup for things like
"employee office network" in most enterprises... - even if cabling might
be point-to-point.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279