finish my RFC before posting

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri May 18 12:12:58 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:03:11AM +0100, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
> > (It gets problematic when such a network outgrows their PI network, due
> > to it being smaller than a LIR allocation, and then needs to announce
> > more routes than necessary - but a /48 IPv6 PI should be sufficient for
> > this kind of setup "for ever".
>
> Hence why I suggested PI come with a buy back "you can have only
> one PI, if you need more you get PA and you have to give tha PI back,
> still want PI or does PA now seem more attractive?"
>
> I think it's sensible to give people what they need but not let
> them take the piss with it, hence one prefix per origin

Maybe this should go to the APWG list now :-) - but this is not
unproblematic.  A single company might have a couple of completely
unrelated networks, that are not interconnected.

So what are you going to answer them?  "open a new LIR for each of your
networks, so you can get one-PI-per-network"?

"per origin" is not overly well-defined...

Gert Doering
        -- APWG chair
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279