IPv6 PI allocation

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Thu May 17 17:24:32 CEST 2007

Gert Doering wrote:
> Correct, but given the respective table sizes, the safety margin needed
> for IPv4 table growth easily covers the IPv6 table...

I think David's point is that on a dual stacked box, TCAM is shared
between ipv4 and ipv6.  So while a current generation router will run a
full ipv6 table for many years to come if it's only running ipv4, for
dual-stacked boxes, you have to deal with both an ipv4 table and perhaps a
sudden ipv6 table growth spurt, both competing for the samel limited resource.

Nick