[-] Re: IPv6 PI allocation

Rico -mc- Gloeckner mc at ukeer.de
Thu May 17 14:44:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:51:32PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino 2.0 wrote:
> 	hmm.  an important figure in the IETF (who have served as an IESG in
> 	the past) told me that router vendors are telling people rather dreamy
> 	thing - they are OK to handle 1M routing table entries with hardware
> 	forwarding.  to hold 1M routing table entries you would need 32M bytes
> 	of memory at least.  i have never seen such big fast-path fowarding
> 	silicon.
>
> 	so i need some fact-checking here - am i telling FUD, or the router
> 	vendors are telling people their pipe dream?

There are currently around 25-30k ASs in the Routing Table, if everyone
who had an AS announced one IPv6 Prefix per AS, this would be like 10%
of what most border routers currently carry. Even if everyone was in the
CW Situation to announce three prefixes this would be < 50% of the
currenty routing table (entries).

random sig,
--
http://www.ukeer.de/about.html

"640k is enough for anyone, and by the way, what's a network?"
--William Gates III, President of Microsoft Corporation, 1984