Last Chance Rush -- was "Five Security Flaws in IPv6"

Roger Jorgensen rogerj at jorgensen.no
Sun May 13 20:16:09 CEST 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, David Conrad wrote:
<snip>
>> With NATs this will be rather problematical... Currently we are wasting
>> engineering resources to solve different NAT traversal problems....
>
> As Roger's girlfriend said: ""why should I care? Isn't it people like your's
> job to sort this out?"
>
> You _might_ get some traction with a VP of operations or engineering about
> the pain NAT causes, but fixing those problems costs money too.
>
> Get used to NAT.  Learn to love it. If you are an IPv6-only site (the
> likelihood of which increases significantly when the IPv4 free pool runs out
> in 20{09,10,11,12}), you are going to need v6-to-v4 NAT to connect to
> anything useful.

We have customers that don't care as long as they can get their content,
ignoring the underlaying technology. Which mean it can be v4 or v6 for
what they care... And that give us an option.

On the other side, based on the above and how NAT is used today, NAT sound
like the solution to everything, v4 shortage, the move from v4 to v6...
what stop NAT from being the way of doing things in the v6 world in 10-15
years time?

We have a chance now to figure out a usable way to get IPv6 into daily use
for the average customer... I would guess we have ~2-3 years to figure
this out AND put it into use. The question is how? Forget the technical
part, I belive we have all the tools, someone just have to dare to make
the first move.

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-May/006895.html by David Conrad
could be one option, it would certainly highlight IPv6 but is it enough?

I got the attention from everyone I work with the posting on how we're
about to run out of IPv4 address space, the question I got from the
non-technical part was "are we working on this problem?" ... have others
done that where they can?

Most of the people on this list have been involved with IPv6 for quite
some time, use your imagination and put IPv6 into use... get the
attention from the non-technical people that we're about to hit a wall
that might/will/can/whatever stop the growth/usability of Internet.

The other option is of course to continue as today and see the wall
getting closer and closer, being awake when he hit. Sound like fun?