Five Security Flaws in IPv6

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Fri May 11 17:51:29 CEST 2007

Geoff Huston wrote:
> Fair enough. What does that
> observation imply to a projected IANA pool exhaustion date then?

As regards specific dates?  No idea.  To be honest, the exact dates are
now relatively unimportant.  It could be 6 months one way or a year the
other.  Who knows?

What interests me more is that your latest figures imply that we are now
well ahead of the context of a recent rant of mine:

http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2007-March/001022.html

And in the context of ipv6 - whether or not it's going to see a massive
burst of interest / activity as the exhaustion date approaches, and
whether or not it's going to provide a viable solution to the world's
networking requirements in a post ipv4 era - there is still a massive
resistence to really look beyond the next quarter's financials and take
things a bit more seriously.

In particular, we're well inside the the specify, test, integrate, deploy,
use life cycle of CPE equipment, and given that a large chunk of CPE
equipment being deployed today is still fundamentally ipv6 incapable - and
more importantly, cannot be upgraded to support it - it strikes me that
there are some really fundamental questions about ipv6 which most service
providers haven't really even begun to look at yet.

Whatever about the exact exhaustion date, I am going to confidently
predict that shortly after RIR exhaustion occurs, and things begin to
break because of lack of ipv4 addresses, there will be a massive media
fest on how ill-prepared the ISP industry was for the event, and look!
what a complete balls they made of the whole thing, and how it's hurting
business and industry, and how things would have been so much better if
the journalists had run network operations, because they knew in advance
how things were going to be.

prediction value: €0.02.

Nick