Last Chance Rush -- was "Five Security Flaws in IPv6"

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Fri May 11 08:46:33 CEST 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Geoff Huston wrote:

> At 01:13 AM 11/05/2007, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> Geoff Huston wrote:
>>> As the amount of remaining addresses space that these models look at
>>> diminish in size, then the degree of possible variance in the modelling
>>> exercise also diminishes - i.e. the convergence of these predictive models
>>> is also a relatively strong signal that this is no longer a long range
>>> prediction with high levels of potential variance, but is now working as a
>>> short term prediction with very limited potential variance.
>>
>> It might be more accurate to say that the upper bounds of the address pool
>> sizes can be predicted more accurately as time goes by.  Your model does
>> not take into account a possible stampede near the end.
>

> Actually a quadratic model may better equipped to model the characteristics
> of a last chance rush  than an exponential growth model using least squares
> best fit curve fitting algorithms, but, yes, its still probably too
> conservative. So you comment appears to be that even this model is perhaps
> too conservative. Fair enough. What does that observation imply to a
> projected IANA pool exhaustion date then?
>
>   regards,
>
>   Geoff

Hi,

My view can be somewhat biased because i'm running dual-stack for some
years now........... but this "last chance rush" thing doesn't clearly
show anyone that the _public_ IPv4 Internet's GROWTH is doomed ???

Yesterday I've once more listenned to the "what can a small/mid-sized
company gain by going into IPv6?" question. For me the answer is still
"...a continuously growing Internet and potentially more customers!", but
this argument isn't really convincing the majority. :-(

In the end, addressing is still an ISP issue. And if ISPs don't push
it, they will reach the point where they will have to explain customer B
that customer A has its public addresses, but customer B will have to live
only with NAT -- bad luck, the world can be unfair now and then.

At this point i can easily see that IPv6 is still a drop in the ocean,
and as IPv4 available blocks are going down the drain, ISPs should
already be on top of it... :-(

Flames welcomed.

Best Regards,

Carlos Friac,as                                            See:
Wide Area Network Working Group (WAN)                      www.gigapix.pt
FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional      www.ipv6.eu
Av. do Brasil, n.101                                       www.6diss.org
1700-066 Lisboa, Portugal, Europe                          www.geant2.net
Tel: +351 218440100 Fax: +351 218472167
www.fccn.pt
       The end is near........ see http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4
  "Internet is just routes (217118/774), naming (billions) and... people!"

Aviso de Confidencialidade
Esta mensagem e' exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatario, podendo
conter informacao CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgacao esta' expressamente
vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado indevidamente esta
mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta
via ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteudo
de imediato.

Warning
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee.
It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected by law. If this
message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by
telephone +351 218440100 and delete it immediately.