Question about "proper" way to run v6/v4 website

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed May 2 21:31:04 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:47:27PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Since you and Matyas had basically the same question, I'll chose this one
> to respond to. I actually have an answer to your question, but first I have
> a question for you. What operational goal are you trying to accomplish by
> configuring your DNS in that way?

We're aiming to provide *all* our services to be dual-stack.  DNS (auth+rec),
Mail (relay), WWW proxy, NNTP server, ...

I see this as the only way forward for a service provider - we'll have
IPv4 customers for the next 10 years to come, we have IPv6 capable
customers that prefer IPv6 transport, and our servers might need to
contact v4-only, or (eventually) v6-only machines on "the other side".

> And no, this is not a theoretical
> question. We are, as has been stated before, in a transition period, and
> the transition isn't going to go any further than it has (which isn't much)
> if we can't come up with real solutions to the problems people are
> currently experiencing.

Fiddling with DNS, a protocol which is known to be used through intermediate
servers for most of the queries, isn't going to help answer end-to-end
questions.

(Even if our recursive DNS would be v4-only, the proposed solution wouldn't
work - a v4+v6 customer would query our DNS, via v4, and the DNS recursor
would then query the authoritative server, via v4, and thus the end
customers would never receive the AAAA record that they could make good
use of.)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279