2001:10::/28 allocated to ORCHID for HIP usage

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Mar 27 12:21:09 CEST 2007

[BCC'ing the draft authors so that they might clarify what I most likely
misunderstand ;) ]

ORCHID = Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers.

Draft: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-07.txt

IANA Special Purpose Registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry

From my understanding of the above draft, the 2001:10::/28 address space
will NOT be routed.

8<----------------------------------------------------------------
   This document introduces Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash
   Identifiers (ORCHID) as a new, experimental class of IPv6-address-
   like identifiers.  These identifiers are intended to be used as end-
   point identifiers at applications and Application Programming
   Interfaces (API) and not as identifiers for network location at the
   IP layer, i.e., locators.
---------------------------------------------------------------->8

As such.... I am marking this prefix with a sort of fuchsia color in
GRH, just in case it pops up, which it should not.

See: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/bogons/#orchid
8<---------------------------------------------------------------------
ORCHID

The ORCHID (Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers) prefix
(2001:10::/28) as specified in draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-07.txt, falls
under the IANA IPv6 Special Purpose Address Registry RFC4773). It is a
non-routed part of the IPv6 address space used for Cryptographic Hash
Identifiers. As per the above draft, this address space is non-routed
and thus should not appear in BGP.

Anybody anything to add about this? Except that it is a great idea to do
HIP experiments of course!

Greets,
 Jeroen

(Who is sort of confused about the usage of 2001:00xx::/24 for all kinds
of things, especially as it is in the middle of RIR address space...)