Say "Thank you" to Bill...

Max Tulyev maxtul at netassist.kiev.ua
Tue Mar 27 11:49:24 CEST 2007

Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> So a significant amount of people can't access sites I host. And that's
>> why I can't say that a large production site can be IPv6 enabled by
>> default. Sorry :(
>>
>> Any ideas how to correctly fix it?
>
> You can't do anything about this, it is the administrators fault that they:
>  - allow machines in their networks to be IPv6 enabled
>  - drop 'filtered' traffic dead to the floor instead of returning
>    an ICMP admin-reject or related ICMP.
>
> You could maybe educate them though.

I can't educate world using my clients' production sites :(
May be my home sites or so.

So the problem now is enabling V6 for hosting will hurt the service. It
is really VERY bad thing.

> PS: Macintoys come IPv6 enabled already for quite some time too, they
> though have IPv6 disabled in Safari to avoid the above issue...
> Don't blame "Bill", *THANK* "Bill" for M$ having enabled IPv6. If they
> didn't then IPv6 would never ever be used anywhere, or do you really
> think that those few Linux boxes are going to matter? :)

I understand well Bill's and TheBigBrother's(tm) main idea: to make
traffic flow through their servers at least part, at least for a while.

But - they really did a bad thing for V6: they made V6 enabled hosting
unusable in production :(

Compare it to Linux/Mac: Have V6 way - use it. V6 is not setuped - fall
back to V4. No tunnels. No security holes (how many people even know
they have unfiltered V6 connectivity?!). No "strange" traffic. So on.

--
WBR,
Max Tulyev (MT6561-RIPE, 2:463/253 at FIDO)