[ipv6-wg] IPv6 Deployment Panel at ICANN, Lisbon

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Mar 26 23:50:56 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 12:17:30PM +0100, Carlos Friacas wrote:
> Going back to the subject on this message:
> I think the session was generally positive. Next time perhaps the term
> "Tutorial" should be dropped... this and the fact it was held from 13:00
> to 15:00 on a sunday might have driven people away from it......

Thanks for the positive feedback.  (Actually, it was quite a novel
experience to see your own words being typed in real-time on the
transcript monitors... and yes, it did quite confuse me :) ).

> I specially did get a bad feeling about the question being raised by the
> jordan government person: didn't feel he got a proper and clear
> answer... imho he should have heard IPv6 should be something to have in
> mind because v4 address exaustion can in fact endanger internet companies'
> business in jordan (in the same way it will in every other country!) in
> the medium/long run.

I thought I said something along the line of "it's a preparedness thing,
for the time IPv4 runs out" - but maybe that wasn't clear enough.

*Today*, there indeed is no cost saving in changing to IPv6 - but making
sure all your gear is ready for IPv6 will save you money when you can't
avoid IPv6 any longer..

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  98999

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279