ARIN PI space filters (2620:0000:/23)

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Wed Mar 21 10:16:10 CET 2007

Hi,

Bjoern A. Zeeb schrieb:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Jørgen Hovland wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I see the filtering madness has fully reached the IPv6 internet too.
>
> why shoudn't it? Clueful people did have filters from close to day 1.
>
> Gert Doering has been maintaining his public filter lists[1] since 2002.

..which is often not up-to-date since not even Gert has the time to
always update it in a timely manner. You always need to invest your own
clue if you actually do more than basic spoofing/martian filters.

> Why would someone allow anyone to go where v4 ended and let people
> announce any &$#&*()* prefixes, highly deaggregated stuff, hijacked
> netblocks, unallocated prefixes, ...?

Because talking clueless people into BGP Prefix filtering is generally
considered harmful?
Just look at all the problems de-bogonizing new IPv4 space already? Even
in IPv6 see this problem getting new Address Space announced even
considering IPv6-network operators "should" be more clueful?

All I see is a vast disruption in service.
And i'm not talking about the good netizens updating their filters in
time or automatically, but the 90% who don't update them at all if you
don't invest 6months in trying to explain what and why - each time.

It's bad, but that's the internet nowerdays.

> If it's not stopped now it will never be and v6 will become the same
> v4 is now. Can you do the math?

Yes, no problems. Can you? :-)

> People just thrwoing $$s and no brain at things do not change the
> world. They just make some few people richer.

Actually, in this case, it's the only solution since BGP routing is
decentralized and you can't tell anyone what to do and force your
opinion on others :-)

...and BTW - there's also the "relaxed" filter suggestion from Gert
since day 1 of his ipv6-filters webpage.

"This list [strict filtering] is problematic, as it NEEDS regular
updating. So only use it if you are prepared to do that. Otherwise use
the relaxed filter."

:-)