IPv6 traffic data in Asian networks?

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Mar 19 10:36:28 CET 2007

Hi Carlos,

I think all those measurements are not good, let me explain why.

According to my own "experiments" on this field, when you ask for IPv6
traffic to ISPs, carriers, IXPs, etc., they are only counting the *native*
IPv6.

Today, most of the IPv6 traffic is not native, but transition, at least in
the access networks (and it remains as transition traffic unless your ISP
has transition boxes such as Teredo and 6to4 relays).

If you measure traffic at end hosts, then you will reach a totally different
picture (around 12% from my own measurements). And this is even not totally
correct

I've presented "The cost of NOT deploying IPv6" yesterday at the IEPG
meeting
(http://www.potaroo.net/iepg/march2007/the_cost_of_not_deploying_ipv6_v4.pdf
), including some preliminary stats. I plan to have much better stats in a
couple of weeks or so. But I thin it is clear that IPv6 traffic is growing
and especially with transition (both, 6to4 and Teredo). There are several
reasons that explain that, such as more and more CPEs that come with 6to4
enabled by default, Vista with comes with IPv6 enabled by default (and ore
applications making use of it).

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Carlos Friacas <cfriacas at fccn.pt>
> Responder a: <ipv6-ops-bounces+jordi.palet=consulintel.es at lists.cluenet.de>
> Fecha: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:05:02 +0000 (WET)
> Para: <ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de>
> Asunto: IPv6 traffic data in Asian networks?
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently looking for IPv6 traffic data/graphs regarding Asian
> networks.
>
> Already skimmed through several Asian Internet Exchanges' websites, but no
> luck so far. :-(
>
> As a counterpoint regarding Europe, last year I saw a presentation from
> AMS-IX about sFLOW which referenced a 0.2% IPv6 traffic figure over the
> exchange. But together with some NRENs data it's also the only IPv6
> traffic data from European networks i'm aware of...
>
> Any URLs/comments about this welcomed :-)
>

> Best Regards,

> Carlos Friac,as                                            See:
> Wide Area Network Working Group (WAN)                      www.gigapix.pt
> FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional      www.ipv6.eu
> Av. do Brasil, n.101                                       www.6diss.org
> 1700-066 Lisboa                                            www.geant2.net
> Tel: +351 218440100 Fax: +351 218472167
> www.fccn.pt
>   The end is near........ see http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html
>   "Internet is just routes (214049/730), naming (billions) and... people!"
>

> Aviso de Confidencialidade
> Esta mensagem e' exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatario, podendo
> conter informacao CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgacao esta' expressamente
> vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado indevidamente esta
> mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta
> via ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteudo
> de imediato.
>
> Warning
> This message is intended exclusively for its addressee.
> It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected by law. If this
> message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by
> telephone +351 218440100 and delete it immediately.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org