Subnetting Practices

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jul 16 23:11:50 CEST 2007

On 16-jul-2007, at 17:56, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> OK.  My concerns are that using overly large subnets on p2p links
> a) is wasteful

See my previous message...

> and b) could be a DoS vector, especially on software-based routers.

You mean like an ARP storm?

Obviously people are going to use /64 subnets in IPv4 for non-p2p
subnets, and alhough those will have more addresses used, they'll
still be populated extremely sparsely, so IPv6 routers need to be
able to handle this kind of abuse anyway, so what it is you're using
on a p2p subnet shouldn't matter.

(And I doubt anyone is implementing neighbor discover in hardware...)