Subnetting Practices

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Mon Jul 16 17:25:51 CEST 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Gert Doering wrote:

> So I see this argument actually emphasizing the "make the host part
> of the network LARGE!!" argument - which is what the decision for /64s
> did.

Making the host part of access networks large makes lots of sense, no
argument there.  My view is that doing the same for p2p links doesn't
make sense, in most cases, and is both horridly wasteful and raises
security concerns, sorry if I wasn't being clear.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

        Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

                -- Ford Motor Company