Subnetting Practices

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jul 16 16:29:16 CEST 2007

On 15-jul-2007, at 16:56, Roland Dobbins wrote:

>> There are tons of options for point-to-point subnetting with IPv6:

> Nobody said there weren't a lot of options.

The question was abou subnetting practices, hence my list of options.

> What I'm saying is that the seemingly most common ones are a) wasteful

The moment that the waste happened was the moment that it was decided
to make IPv6 addresses 128 bits. How we use that 128-bit space now
that we have it doesn't make all that much of a difference, as long
as what we do doesn't make us run out prematurely. And even with 64-
bit point-to-point subnets I don't see that happening any time soon.

> and b) constitute a security risk.

Again: how so?