Subnetting Practices

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 15:08:39 CEST 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 10:44:16AM -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> I'm working on a subnetting scheme for my IPv6 deployment and I'm
> curious to what the current best practices regarding IPv6 subnets are.
> For example, if I need a point-to-point link, something I'd normally
> assign a /30 in v4, I see /64 being used as the v6 equivalent. This
> seems kind of wasteful to me, so if anyone out there can clarify why,
> I'd appreciate it.

A lot of ops are using /64 for point to point links, but there's also
some using longer (e.g. I've seen /112 or more commonly /126).
Personally I have no issue using a /64 for p2p links (and do!).

Any comments on
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon-05.txt
would be welcome, ideally to the IETF v6ops mail list :)

Discussion of p2p links is in 3.3 and 3.3.4.

--
Tim