Subnetting Practices

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Sun Jul 15 17:01:12 CEST 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Gert Doering wrote:

> And indeed, router vendors need to do a bit of homework to avoid being
> an "easy target" DoS due to sequential IPv6 address scanning - but
> then,
> they would need this for a network size of a /112 as well (still room
> for 65.000 hosts, and potential ARP/ND requests).

I don't know that it's a problem of 'homework' - it's more a matter
of, 'don't use an addressing scheme which turns your router into a
sinkhole'.  Nor is this particular concern tied to sequential
scanning, per se.

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

        Culture eats strategy for breakfast.