Subnetting Practices

Michael Horn nibbler at nibbler.de
Sun Jul 15 00:14:49 CEST 2007

Seth,

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> I can do math, thanks, which is why I realize how large a /64 really is and
> was asking why that is the accepted practice. Back in the day someone's dog
> could get a /8 or /16 because there was so much space to spare. Same thing,
> different century.

if you can do math, compare the size of a /64 to the entire v6 address
space and then compare the size of even a /32 in v4 to the entire v4
addressing space.

no offense meant - i also dislike address space wastage - but assigning
/64 for non ptp link networks is the least thing that would come to
my mind when i think about address space wastage in v6.

cheers,
michael