Subnetting Practices

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat Jul 14 20:16:56 CEST 2007

Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
>> This seems kind of wasteful to me, so if anyone out there can clarify
>> why, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Not only is it wasteful, but it's a security risk, as it essentially
> turns one's router into a sinkhole for any type of scanning activity or
> DDoS crafted to exploit this inexplicable practice, IMHO.

I'm inclined to use something *way* smaller (like a /126 since /127's
are bad) for router links. I thought the push behind IPv6 was because
we're running out of v4 space, and I see standard practice blowing a /64
on a link that'll never have more than 2 devices on it. Lots of stuff I
read encourages seemingly wasteful practices in v6 space as a good thing
and it confuses me.

~Seth