Seeing Teredo traffic from Vista?

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Feb 16 15:35:36 CET 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:24:44PM +0000, Tim Chown wrote:

Hi Tim,

> I was just wondering whether anyone on the list is noticing any use
> of Teredo now Vista is beginning to appear with IPv6 enabled and
> Teredo enabled (but inactive) by default?
>
> It would seem that unless you configure Vista with a working Teredo
> server address it will remain inactive, and there doesn't exactly
> seem to be a huge number of those that use the new 2001::/32 prefix.
> So are any operators here deploying servers/relays?  GRH doesn't seem
> to show up that many originators for the prefix.

We operate a relay at AS29259, but don't see much traffic.

http://public.teleport-iabg.de/teredo.png

nowadays about 90% of it are connections between Teredo clients and
Windows 6to4 systems (I guess, they use the characteristic
2002:1234:5678::1234:5678 form).

I think back in November/December a Vista Beta/RC had Teredo enabled by
default, that explains the high amount of traffic then.

> We have IPv6 natively in our enterprise, but are interested for home
> users, as a comparison to broker models.

It usually works pretty well. It suffers from the lack of global relays,
on the other hand it is almost the same undebuggable mess in case of
problems as 6to4, since some people tend to build relays to attract
traffic and then fail to monitor them. So less well maintained relays is
better.

Regards,
Bernhard