Creating an IPv6 implementation plan

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Aug 22 18:51:24 CEST 2007

Marcin Gondek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just FYI, Outlook 2007 successfully works with IPv6 on SMTP/POP3/IMAP4
> servers.
> Check my headers for example.

Correct. The problem is with Exchange, which doesn't support it yet, and
that is the setup that most businesses use. Apparently Exchange Server
2008 SP1 will support it, if I recall that correctly.

> The same is with II6, DNS on Windows 2003 systems.
> I haven't checked the DHCP Server on Windows 2003. But Vista can be IPv6
> only connected system and I hope that Windows 2008 will fully support IPv6
> as one available protocol in the system and/or active directory environment.

The problem really more starts to become that the clients are ready to
do IPv6, but that the infrastructure at servers is simply not ready yet.
Folks like Google, Youtube, Facebook and so on should really start to
move into that direction, I hope they do it soon.

Greets,
 Jeroen