IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header issues

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 24 15:24:18 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:02:32PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Very interesting presentation by Arnaud and Phil:
>
> http://www.secdev.org/conf/IPv6_RH_security-csw07.pdf

I note that the v6ops at ietf discussion of the IPv6 security overview
document talked about these issues in Jan 2006. I think I pointed
out at the time that you could also use some of these routing header
tricks for good aswell as evil ;-)

I think the authors must have been thinking in a very similar way
to me about the routing header, as they mention it could be used
for finding anycast instances like 6to4 relay routers. I'm not
convinced by the bots-attacking-root-server-anycast-instances attack
described, but I could be missing something.

Nor do I agree with the authors that R0 headers are only of use to
attackers, as much like traceroute, they're a useful tool for
understanding what's going on in the network. OTOH, we certainly
need better filtering facilities if we are to continue supporting
them. End hosts not honouring them and firewalls being able to
filter on any address in a routing header might be a useful?

	David.