Question about "proper" way to run v6/v4 website

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Apr 20 08:26:59 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Tim wrote:
>> Tim, at this point the concept of anything being IPv6-only is not the
>> brightest of ideas. The IPv6 world is still a little drop in the ocean.
>> :-(
>
> Well my point isn't to set up an IPv6-only website.  My point is to
> provide an IPv6 website without negatively impacting customers who have
> IPv6 software but don't realize it.

Tim, if I understand you correctly, you're thinking of a solution
where a subset of authoritative servers for zone X would answer "Y1"
and the rest of them would answer "Y2".  So, the DNS namespace
would get mangled.  This approach doesn't work for various
reasons, probably biggest of them being DNS caches which would get
very confused about this kind of inconsistency.

I'd suggest taking a look at RFC 4472, in particular section 1.2 and
1.3.  Appendix B may also give ideas about what this might imply.